Spur Corporation is one of South Africa’s most recognised brands.
- The group owns diverse brands serving a full range of customers:
- Three of South Africa’s largest and most well-established restaurant chains that service the country’s fast-growing middle class: Spur Steak Ranches, Panarottis Pizza Pasta and John Dory’s Fish Grill Sushi.
- RocoMamas is a distinctive and trendy Smashburger brand that offers a niche, fast casual-dining experience.
- The Hussar Grill and Casa Bella add an upmarket steakhouse and wood-fired pizza and pasta chain to the group’s brand portfolio.
- Customer loyalty programmes across brands offer value for money, both locally and internationally.
The group aims to create sustainable returns for its providers of financial capital through two strategic objectives:
Growing the footprint of existing brands, expanding into new territories and acquiring new businesses.
Local and international operations
- The group’s presence is predominantly in South Africa, but extends to 12 countries in Africa, Mauritius, the Middle East, Australia and New Zealand.
- Spur Corporation’s strategic focus remains new business development and expanding the group’s footprint in high-growth markets across Africa, the Middle East and Australasia.
- Revised restaurant formats such as Spur Grill & Go offer untapped market growth in sites and locations previously
not targeted by the group.
Maintaining a sustainable business
Employment of a responsive and agile franchise model, and the ongoing monitoring of the broader social and environmental risks and opportunities faced by the group.
Strong and committed leadership
- Spur Corporation’s directors and senior executives – many of whom started their careers working in group restaurants – guarantee industry expertise.
- Their operational style reflects the fundamentals on which the group was built: people, entrepreneurial flair, customer focus, operational excellence, empowerment and learning, and prudent and considered decision-making.
- Various levels of management continually identify, assess, manage and monitor key business risks as part of the group’s day-to-day operations.
- Considering the current volatility of the food and retail sector, the board remains risk averse, and long-term growth opportunities are assessed by monitoring the performance of existing operations against current industry trends.
Procurement, manufacturing and distribution
- The group’s procurement function ensures food safety, quality and a stable supply.
- Relationships with outsourced logistics service providers, suppliers and franchisees are sustainably managed.
Group services and marketing support
- The group’s marketing department provides marketing and promotional services to franchisees.
- Training and corporate support services provided to franchisees ensure the delivery of a consistently high-quality product in line with each brand promise.